Sunday, May 31, 2015

Cetlic Courier: Farewell and thanks


A beautiful shirt from secretaries in attendance and the main office-- a special weekend.  Wow! Embroidery from DBA.

Dear Staff,

It is hard to put into words all of the emotions from this week but I know the one word that sums it up is LOVE.  It just seemed that the whole building and the Schott was teaming with love in so many different ways, for all of the retirees on Friday, for each other gathering as a staff at the luncheon, for the graduates on Saturday, and more.  It is wonderful to come together some of life's most poignant moments together.

An arena full of love.

A stunning performance by our choir.  Thanks, Jeanne!

One of my favorite things to do as principal-- hugging and shaking students' hands on the stage. A special memory. 

I want to especially thank all of you for all of the gifts, cards, flowers, good wishes and kind words in the past week.  Thanks to Kay for keeping so many things a surprise and scanning photos and secretly organizing such a touching celebration for me and my family.  Much thanks to Carrie McJunkin also for all of her hours in putting together the video together with Kay.  I truly can't thank Kay, Sharon and Carol enough for all of their friendship and love-- we have had quite a time together every day for the last 11 years.

Some of the special cards and gifts at our home. Thanks so much!

I want to thank every single one of you for all of your hard work every day for students and staff at Jerome.  All of you-- custodians, secretaries, cafeteria workers, teachers, parapros, Pete, Chuck, administrators--You are truly what makes Jerome special for students and parents every day and whether you know it or not-- you change lives every day.

Thanks to each Department Chair for and all of you who have served as Department Chairs at Jerome.  It is not easy being a teacher-leader and making difficult decisions sometimes with peers.  Thanks so much for your support.

Thanks to all of the Charter members of Jerome-- those staff who took a risk to come and help create a new high school.  From day 1, you committed to Jerome and we appreciate so much your , leadership, help and expertise in building Jerome into what it is today. Thanks to Sondra Snodgrass for creating what is most likely the best tradition any high school has today-- clapping in students on the first day of school.  Please know that when you are all standing up and clapping next year, I will be re-living it in my mind and wishing I was there.  So much of what we take for granted in life that we believe we will always have and do in life is fleeting, and some of our best Jerome traditions are what come to mind for me.

What will I miss about Jerome. EVERYTHING.  It is intertwined with all I do and feel.  But most of all-- you.

I will miss Angie and her enthusiasm for life. And all of you who love life, work, your family and time with your Jerome family.


I will miss TEAM-- and everything that word means.  All of my fellow administrative team members have been the brothers I never had.  I am especially proud of those who moved on to being Principal and other leaders-- Bob Scott, Tom McDonnell, Mark Mousa, Mike Aurin and Rick Bailey.

I will miss Fred and CD, longtime staff members who go back to Coffman, and all of the other longterm staff members. Wow 15 years or so of working together.

As I embark on a new stage in life, I am reminded of the quote I have carried in my wallet for years and also have it in my office:

"The time to be happy is now,
The place to be happy is here,
The way to be happy is to make others so."

I have tried so hard to live my life like this-- whether it was when I was home with Jennifer and watching her grow up, times with Jeff, and certainly my time at Jerome.  In the back of my mind I knew someday it would end, and I have always lived to be all in in everything I have done in life, a sense of urgency that we only have 24 hours in every day and that life is not long enough.

Everywhere I go I run into someone who asks me why I am retiring.  Even before graduation on the floor of the Schott one of our graduate's grandfathers came down and asked me, in fact he actually told me I shouldn't be retiring.  It was one of those surreal moments. :)

I am retiring for my good friends Marina Davis, Kathy Case and Linda Kovanda-- who all spoke of retirement and never got to do it.

And I am retiring, as I stated in my graduation speech, because I do not how many grains of sand are in my hourglass of life, but I know that to spend time with Jeff, Jennifer, Marisol and Ryan--- it will not be enough time.  And as we grow old together, I want to continue to create lasting memories with my family.  And I long to have my granddaughter know and love me.

It was very special to have my whole family at graduation, even Marisol, her first visit to the Schott!

Dusty Miller is a remarkable administrator and person; I love Dusty and he has always been a good friend to me.  It was special to have him at graduation.  At the end I went to his seat and pulled him to the middle of the stage with me so we could stand together during the recessional. It was special for me to have him with me watching my last class leave the arena.


Dusty and I-- 2 friends-- forever Celtics.

I will always remember how special you have all made this transition to retirement.  I hope to see you at El Vacquero on 161-- not the one in Shawnee Hills-- after school so we can toast together all of the good memories of Jerome life and those to come!  Let's party down together.

Thank you.  I love you.  I wish for each of you good health and happiness in life. If I can ever help you in any way, please let me know.  I hope to see you around Dublin, and maybe at some Celtic events!  Have a fun summer and a wonderful life.

The front of the new shirt-- so awesome.

Thanks for the time of my life.

Always a Celtic,

Cathy


No comments:

Post a Comment